If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cut a rug

My Uncle Rex would think I had been dancing if I told him I had cut a rug.
Nope, no dancing, I really cut a rug. 

For the last few weeks, maybe months, I have been cleaning and decluttering our entire house.  Most of it is finished.  Yea!

After switching things around, I ended up with a runner size rug that matched in color to our breakfast room/turned kitchen addition, but it was the wrong length for the pace it needed to be.  

It is too hot to go rug shopping and this rug matched so, I did a redneck alteration to it.  

First, I marked the cutting line on the back and started cutting.  I used an old pair o heavy scissors and this was the hardest part. 
Once it was cut, it was going to ravel, so I sealed that cut end with duct tape.  I just turned a narrow strip on the front and widest part is on the back of the rug.
Then, I found some bias binding that blended with the rug.
I used E6000 glue to attach the binding, over the duct tape, to the cut end of the rug.  
Clothes pins work great to hold the binding in place until the rug dries.
Sorry, these pictures are too dark, but they show the rug in front of the door.  
The design is not perfectly semetrical I think it is fine. 
This rug is at the back door and the cut end is close to the armoire so it won't get much traffic. 

I am really happy with it.  I made something work with very little effort and no cost. 

But looking at this photo, I think touch up painting to the trim needs to be added to the to-do list.  

There is always something to keep me busy!  You too?

6 comments:

  1. Make do with what you have is a good motto to live by. I recycle things around my house all the time. My current hand stitching project is too big for the basket that I normally use. I had a pretty wicker laundry basket, a bit rough on the inside but 2 hours with the sewing machine and a heap of scraps gave me a quilted lining that will become a play mat for my grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, that sounds like a project I would do too! I would rather make something I already have work than go buy something else.

      Delete
  2. Yup, one improvement always shows up the other places that need a touch up. It's what keeps us going I think. I never sit around wondering what to do, I always have a mental list a mile long of things that need doing!
    Love your rug.
    You're a girl after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Donna, I like your blog so much, we are cut from the same cloth, as they say.

      Delete
  3. You are so resourceful! I would never thought of using a duct tape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well Lena, you are just don't live in a Redneck part of the US like I do. :) People around here just duct tape for too many things.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐