If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May Menu plan

Hello again,
I am trying to better job of having some meal variety and to spend less.  So I made a May menu plan inspired by Dawn at Blessed Beyond Measure. 
You can visit her sweet blog here  Blessed Beyond Measure

 She plans out a month of meals in no particular order and allows 7 days open to use up leftovers.  That sounds like a plan that will work for us. I like leaving some days open to allow for leftovers or change of plans.  
May 1 was already a day I didn't cook a meal at home.  We were not very hungry after the big meal at church so I just fixed us some cheese toast for a light supper.


I planned this menu around groceries we already have.  I made notes by a few dishes about ingredients still needed.
I should not have to do much shopping this month except for fresh ingredients and the few ingredients needed for recipes.  
The menus are chicken-heavy as we found a good chicken sale last week at the commissary. They are also Mexican-heavy as we have big packs of both corn and flour tortillas.  And we like spicy, Mexican dishes.  



May 2 We had green enchiladas and they were so good!  I softened 8 corn tortillas in about 1 Tablespoon of hot oil and drained them.  Then I filled each one with some cooked chicken and cheese and rolled them up.  I put them in a greased baking pan and poured a little can of verde salsa on top (about 8 ounces). I put a little more cheese on top and baked for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.



May 3 Dirt E Rice, slightly modified, still delicious 


We have leftover enchiladas and leftover Dirt E Rice tomorrow's supper will be a leftovers of choice night.  


13 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds delicious! We love mexican food and those enchiladas look yummy.
    Curious as to what silver dollar skillet contains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes sound great! Mexican food is my favorite. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a version of this for menu planning too. Easier than planning for specific days! We love Mexican/Southwest flavors too; taco bowls/salad has been on my menu a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually menu plan at the beginning of the week, but the monthly menu is great for cooking and grocery shopping ahead. That way you have ingredients needed for whichever meal you choose each day. Greg once told me that we could eat pizza or Mexican food every night and he'd be okay with that. Now that's easy meal planning. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Thank You, Rhonda, for your very kind words!
    Your meals this month sound Yummy!! I am also curious as to what is in the Silver Dollar City Skillet. :)
    I like how you planned all the meals around what you already have in your kitchen. That's why I like hitting good sales on chicken or ground beef- you can stock up and do so much with them.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also interested in the Silver Dollar City Skillet!
    I love your menu, but I especially love the fall back items at the bottom. That is so realistic for how most of us live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I am off to check out that blog too thank you Rhonda.
    We are in autumn so it is soup, stews, cornbread and roasts here at the moment. I like to cook up a lot them serve it different ways. My spaghetti sauce was spaghetti first then lasagne and tonight tacos. It helps a lot. With love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great list! It's a great way to plan, but still be spontaneous.

    We, also, love Mexican food. In fact, yesterday, I made a huge crock pot of re-fried beans to freeze in smaller portions. Everyone likes them better than the cans, as they are not as stiff, and have more flavor since I add onions and assorted peppers to the beans while they cook, and then blend it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious anytime. Makes me hungry. Planning is a great way to get 'er done. Blessings always,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to know now that I am NOT the only person in the universe who prefers Lasagna made with cottage cheese to ricotta cheese. Growing up in the South in the '60s and '70s it was near impossible to find ricotta cheese so my mother used cottage cheese. Once I moved to NJ ricotta cheese was everywhere so used that. A few years ago I went back to cottage cheese in my lasagna making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are on a restricted diet here but planning ahead still sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing! And that dirty rice looks delicious. Wish I could have some lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so encouraging. I just realized you blogged. I love the menu plan. We are also trying hard not to spend and use what we have. Your pics also look wonderfully yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so encouraging. I just realized you blogged. I love the menu plan. We are also trying hard not to spend and use what we have. Your pics also look wonderfully yummy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐